Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Missing Jawfish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missing Jawfish
    Posted: June 05 2013 at 11:03am
So last night I got a blue spot jawfish which I acclimated by adding 1/2 cup after to his bag every 15 minutes for 1 hour. He seemed fine when I let him free in the tank. He was swimming around and even ate for me. Then I checked on him about and hour later and he was nowhere to be seen. I haven't seem him since. My tank is completely closed (RSM) and I've checked the sump and there's no sign of him. Do they often hide when first introduced and should I be worried? I have no intention of going through my rockwork to find him since that would cause stress to the tank an to him if he's still in there. The only other things in the tank are corals, a snowflake eel, peppermint shrimp, crabs/snails, and a moorish idol.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Ann_A - June 05 2013 at 11:03am
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 12:04pm
He's hiding
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 12:41pm
When mine was added (although a different jawfish) it simply dug itself under one of the rocks and hid for about a day. He'll come out.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2013 at 3:47pm
I agree, he is hiding. On the RSM there is a 1/4-3/8" gap between the hood and the top of the false back that he could use to get into the sump area.

Mike

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 7:49pm
I've checked the sump and there's no sign of him. The only possible trace of him is some shifted sand in the back but that very easily could've been the eel.
Luv68tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv68tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2013 at 9:40pm
Maybe the eel ate him. Mine ate a lot of things I didn't think he would.
~Michelle
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 12:07am
Ah, you didn't mention an eel hahaha. That could definitely be one reason you can't find it. A small fish like a goby/Jawfish that is relatively slow and stays along the bottom could very easily become a snack. Then again I see new sand piles popping up everywhere that are no doubt from my Jawfish. Keep us posted, It's still a new fish it could turn up.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 10:14am
The eel is only 18" long, practically completely blind, and is relatively dumb. The Jawfish was able to dart around when he wanted to so I doubt he was eaten, but I guess it's possible.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 2:36pm
Aloha Ann,

Ermm Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but all Moray's have poor vision. They smell and then ambush their meals, dead or alive. Unhappy
I wish I had a pic of it, but one day I was walking across a semi-flat large expanse of rock where the waves come across. Out of the corner of my eye, I happened to notice a small head sticking out of a hole. I looked closer and saw several of them in similar holes. They were young Snowflake Morays. By the size of their heads I'd guess they were 6-12" long. I believe the way they catch food is to wait for crustaceans to crawl close and for small fish to come moving by with the waves. Morays can sense the prey when it gets an inch or two away and then they move at lightning speed. Their closeup vision and sense of smell help them aim their tooth filled mouth toward the meal.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 anytime

P.S. It doesn't hurt to ask here about reef purchases. You never know when something someone here has to say will save days of grief and/or loads of money.

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 09 2013 at 2:57pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 2:50pm
That was quite the expensive snack :/
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 3:10pm
I was afraid of that....ah well if he somehow turns up then it'll be a nice surprise. Otherwise my eel will be out the door when I upgrade tanks and can actually catch him.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 3:18pm
Key here guys is small fish. The jawfish is no where close to small enough for a typical snowflake eel to be able to eat it.   My snowflake eel, which Anne has cared for while I was out of town, can barely get 1/4 inch chunks of shrimp in its mouth.   It lives happily with cleaner shrimp , fire shrimp, three mandarins , a very small cleaner goby (less than an inch long), small clown fish pair, and a school of chromis (some are also very small). I also have a blue dot jawfish. They are very smart, attentive, fast fish.

I find it impossible from personal experience for a snowflake eel to ambush and eat a jawfish of 3-4 inches in length. If the jawfish is not alive, it is dead in its den, from some other cause,   in the sand and the clean up crew will take care of the rest.

Don't be so quick to blame an eel. There are a multitude of reasons why a newly added fish dies.

Edited by DMower - June 09 2013 at 3:22pm
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 3:23pm
Found him!!!! He's been hiding in a burrow behind a rock in the front of my tank. He seems really shy though and doesn't come out except when food drifts right in front of his den. Hopefully he'll learn to come out more.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 3:27pm
Typical behavior. Give Him time to adjust. Glad you found his home.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

Found him!!!! He's been hiding in a burrow behind a rock in the front of my tank. He seems really shy though and doesn't come out except when food drifts right in front of his den. Hopefully he'll learn to come out more.

That's great news!

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2013 at 8:38pm
I'm glad I was wrong. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:18am
Great news Ann! When we feed we watch two places to make sure the fish are eating. The cardinals and the jaw fish. While the jaw fish will grab some pellets if it drops in front of him, the cardinals still only eat the mysis or other frozen foods so we make sure they get some. Depending on our blue spots the burrow of the day, we often have to squirt some food right next to him to make sure he gets it. 
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:25am
....And he's dead. Cry

I was watching the tank last night and my eel crept up on his burrow and the next thing I knew my eel was thrashing around and wrapping his body around something that was wiggling and trying to escape. No sign of the jawfish since. So I guess the eel is capable of eating a jawfish which means he's being evicted from the tank.
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:26am
...and...THAT SUCKS! Sorry Ann!
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 10:29am
Well. I guess I was wrong.    Sorry to hear. I must have an especially nice snowflake eel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic