Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone keep jellies?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone keep jellies?
    Posted: July 23 2003 at 3:32pm
Just reading an article in Aquarium Fish magazine and wondering if anyone here keeps jellies?
tfowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 3:38pm

I don't, but I would love to do a jelly tank at some point.  I'm not sure how maintainable  they are.   Tim

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 9:38am
Well, Adam is the only one who responded and said he had kept them... but he gave no other information.  Maybe he can share some of his experience with them here.  After finishing the article it sounds like upside down jellies are really easy to keep, but you may have a constant battle with cyano.  I think they would be fun.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 10:58am

Cassiopea are easy to keep.  Need low water flow, otherwise they blow around.  They just sit their looking good.  I think they are way cool in a reef or fish tank.  I would feed mine by pipetting it with rotifers weekly. 

If you want moon jellies, I can get them, but they need a tank just for them since they move around and are so delicate. 

maybe others can elaborate...

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 11:58am

I read an artical about a year ago that made it sound increadbly difficulct to keep jelly fish.  It stated things like hourly feeding and a very special filtration system.

Adam I have always wanted to keep jelly fish. Could share some of your experance with me personally?

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 12:13pm
The aquarium we saw in San Diego,Scripps, had acrylic pieces in the corners 'cause the jellyfishes got struck in the corners! Where's Mark? He had some in his basement........
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 1:06pm

Well there are many jellies.  If you are thinking about the beautiful translucent floating jellies that glide through the water.... well they are tough.  The only thing difficult about them is you can't have pumps, and things that could them to run into stuff, or they just tear apart.

But Cassiopea just sit there on the bottom.  They are way hardy, and do great.  I cared for some before and they were just things you throw in the tank and forget about (well maybe not that easy).  Remember some of those crappy looking tanks at The Living Planet where the corals, and shark were, they have Cassiopea in them, and they do well without anyone caring for them nor feeding them.  Probably 3 inches across.  These jellies are easy to get and usually sell locally for like $7.  But, once again the problem with them is the water current blowing them into the rocks and corals.  I'm surprised other's aren't writing here with their experiences.... I'm certainly not the only person here who has kept them. 

I would like to give you more info, but I really don't know what else you want to know.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jms021 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jms021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 3:08pm
Jms021 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jms021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 3:09pm
dident work sorry
GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 3:18pm

There was an extra HTTP at the front of your link. Here it is corrected.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=543

Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard
tfowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 4:06pm
Are there any do-able free floating species?  I saw a maroon one at aquatica couple months back, it looked "fleshier" than the translucent ones.  What type are moon jellies? - Tim
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 4:29pm
Where's Mark. I'm pretty sure he had some floating/swimmers....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 6:52pm

I collected some upside down jelly fish from florida. I had them inside a diy acrylic enclosure i built within my main tank. They lived happily for about 6 months and grew a little during that time as well. One fateful day (after I moved the enclosure from one end of the tank to the other) one side of the enclosure broke open and the jellies swam out. The pumps just ripped them apart and I saw my yellow tang feeding on the remains. They are mildly venomous and i was worried about the tang but it appeared to give him a "high" he darted from one end of the aquarium to the other shaking quite violently.....but I digress.

From my experience the upside jellies are very easy to keep as long as you have a very high light intensity like a MH (400wattX2 in my case). you dont even need to feed them as long as you give them enough light. I also noticed that they looked healthier (pulsed more energetically)under the 6500K Iwasakis than under the 20K bulbs.  In florida I observed them in very shallow (down to 6") lagoonal pools. They are interesting to watch as they constently pulse. Hope this helps

Asad

Sarnack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarnack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 10:16am
Thanks for all the info, everyone.  I was thinking of starting a Cassiopea tank since they are hardy and don't need special equipment to keep.  But I think the cost of the lights required outweigh the benifits for now...  I could try lower lights that I already have and feed them regularly but I don't have a lot of time to be that dedicated.
Brad A. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2003 at 11:20am

I believe I saw a bunch of the jellies at aquatica (the store on 42 n 1200 w).

Don't know how much.

Brad

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2003 at 2:44pm
Okay Suzy, I'll add my 2 cents.

Yes, I had a blue(food colored?)jellyfish until it got captured by a Palythoa Grande (very large brown/green button polyps) and even though it had been stuck for less than a day, the PG must have stung it pretty good because it lived less than a week after that.
Air bubblers moved the water enough for my jelly. Keep them away from anything that might grab and sting!

TLP had Cassiopea living very well and even growing larger. They were about 5 feet from a 400 W MH.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic