Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1/2" Starphire - which glass shops stock it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DragonShout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragonShout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1/2" Starphire - which glass shops stock it?
    Posted: February 26 2016 at 1:14pm
I've been hunting for glass all week........since last friday.

None of the shops I've called stock 1/2" Starphire, and the quotes I'm getting are all very high. 

Please let me know where to get it.  Planning pretty much a standard 75 gallon tank but rimless & built from 1/2" starphire on the sides/front, & clear glass for the bottom & back.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 1:38pm
Yeah, that will be hard to find and VERY expensive. I thought a couple of years ago someone else was producing something comparable, but it will still be special order.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 1:55pm
A good friend of mine, also on this forum, with over 10 years in the hobby and many different tanks, just received the glass for his new tank. He is making a 48x48x20 with standard 1/2" glass that came from California because local sources were too expensive. He told me that the huge cost for Starfire was not worth the small increase in clarity. If you're just looking to burn a wad of money, buy custom cut Starfire, but if you are trying to get the best bang for your buck, as it appears you are by the fact that you are making your own tank, I would consider buying one of the 75 gal tanks currently listed for sale here. 

Don't know how long you've been in the hobby and though I am known in these parts as the "King of Cheap" I would never, ever, recommend to anyone but a very experienced hobbyist that they build their own tank. There is just too much risk of failure. 

My 2 cents. Smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 2:46pm
I have a 120 never seen water as the bottom piece of glass cracked. Someone make me an offer. Also has a steel stand (painted not powder coated).

Text 4358906626
Dennis
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 4:33pm
Dragon shout pm me
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

DragonShout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DragonShout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 4:38pm
Here's a link to my build thread @ rc:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2560383
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 5:37pm
i was just reading your thread on RC.  the idea that a durso is quieter than a herbie is about the dumbest thing Ive ever read. so don't listen to that guy lol
480 in wall in progress
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 6:11pm
Lol
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic