Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponge or eggs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponge or eggs?
    Posted: April 29 2016 at 8:35am

I saw this on my yellow sub zoa about a week ago.  it hasn't seemed to grow or change, but I have no idea what to do with it.  Please help!

It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 9:07am
Does it move? It looks like a sponge to me but it's hard to tell in that picture. If it doesn't move I would bet it's sponge if it moves them probably a nudibranch. If it moves I would recommend moving it to your sump.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 9:57am
it hasn't moved in the week that I noticed it.  I initially thought it might be eggs of some sort, but also haven't noticed it growing.  also, there doesn't seem to be any distinguishing characteristics that would lead me one direction or another.  I don't really want to move the whole zoa colony, just because of how nicely it's growing... could I just remove the small section that it is attached to?
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 10:05am
Sponges grow quite slowly so it would be very hard to notice any growth in one week.

Does it feel slimy or fibrous when you touch it? Slimy would mean eggs or nudibrach, fibrous would indicate sponge. If it's sponge just exposing it to the air will kill it. If it's eggs then a tooth brush scrubbing in a bowl of tank water should do it.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 11:34am
is there any harm in leaving any of the above mentioned things in the tank?  Not sure what type of eggs it could be, but wouldn't they just end up as food soon anyway?  by the way, thanks for your responses today.
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 11:38am
Can you see any holes in the mass? Classic sign of a sponge if you can.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 11:41am
I cant really see any holes.  right now, its smaller than a dime.  initially I thought it might be an egg mass, due to the gelatinous look it has.  I also have yet to touch it.  I thought I'd see if I could identify it on the forum before attacking it.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 11:46am
No harm in sponge at all. Great to have in your tank.

Eggs that you don't know what they are could introduce many unwanted pests into your tank.

Nudibrach's can be good or bad depending on the type. There are zoa eating types that will eat that entire colony of zoas. So you just have to decide which you like more, zoas or Nudibrach's. Lol

And yes sponges do normally have holes in them but not always.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 11:57am
good to know.  better safe than sorry, I guess.  I'll try to remove it tonite and take some more pics.  thanks guys!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 12:39pm

Personally, I might leave it alone and watch it, but that's just me. Sponge is an awesome part of the biofiltration. I like to let the reef ecology fend for itself.

On the other hand, if that Zoa colony is a favorite or an expensive one, I would get a toothbrush and brush all that Sponge off and down the sink. It's okay to brush it off and run tap water swiftly over the colony to rinse it off. Zoanthids like the brushing/cleaning and often open up within hours afterwards.

What is it exactly? It's definitely a Sponge. It's an animal colony. 99% of Sponge causes no problems on LR and in the sand but when it starts to grow over the coral we want like it is already doing, taking over some polyps, that's when it's time to clean it off and trash it.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 29 2016 at 12:41pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic