Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions on RBTA hiding?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions on RBTA hiding?
    Posted: December 18 2016 at 4:19pm
I got this anemone last weekend with 2 clownfish that were hosting it. It moved off of the rock that it came with and kind of wedged it's foot underneath that and another rock. Seemed happy, clowns were still hosting the anemone itself was extended and nice looking. Then yesterday for some reason it decided to leave and crawl up underneath this flat rock i have and its been there since. A few questions I have. Should i be worried that it's not doing well and its hiding away until it dies? Im not really planning on moving it just kind of waiting to see what it does. Today it looks like its shrunk up a little, possibly from have virtually no direct light on it. My tank is a little over a month old now and I've read anemone need a more established tank. Im hoping it will just come out on its own after a while but I'd like any suggestions i can get. Im feeling bad for the clownfish because they seemed to really like it and now they aren't able to get to it.
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 4:24pm
Oops one thing i wanted to mention, I changed from a regular 660gph powerhead to a small jebao pp4 wave maker. Everything seems to like it just the same. I wonder if that kind of change would affect an anemone like mine?
timmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 7:23pm
I've had a couple BTA's that have done very well.  I think the one main problem you have is with how young your tank is.  If the BTA isn't happy where it's at it will ultimately find a place that it likes.  I've had a few that move as far as a foot in my tank before they were happy and stayed put.  Hopefully you'll get lucky at it will be ok even though your tank is so young.
Tim
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 7:42pm
Yeah I'm hoping it's just being weird right now. I've been obsessively running my parameters and everything always is where it should be so not much else I can do I guess.
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 10:58am
Update this morning. I'm glad to say that it stopped being a weirdo and came out from hiding. Clownfish seem very happy to have it back and I'll relax and let it do its thing
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 11:06am
One of the two(2) major factors, I agree with Timmy, is the young tank. We need to realize that the parameters we can actually test for are, in my estimation, an indication of only a few of the chemical/biological processes that are going on in the ocean and our tanks. You've heard of the Nitrogen Cycle but have you ever heard of the Sulfur Cycle? I bring it up from time to time and there are many more that impact the health and vitality of these marine animals. 

This is the science behind the reasoning for the advice we give regarding adding new animals. These many biological and chemical processes require time to mature so that animals (and plants) can live. How about the "green contract"? Have you seen the documentary narrated by Patrick Stewart? 

You are right to mention the change of circulation caused by changing powerheads. I believe that is the second major factor. I have found that BTA prefer crazy water movement. What do I mean by that? BTA like variable speed which comes from the turbulence and swirling motions that occur near but not directly in the line of constant streams. Turbulence occurs in corners, underhangs, caves, and near the intersection of currents from two separate powerheads aimed at each other. Whenever possible, I use two MaxiJet powerheads aimed up at each other from opposite bottom corners. The two MJ powerheads are less costly and work as well as or better than a single variable speed powerhead.

Aloha

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Zack801 Zack801 wrote:

...so not much else I can do I guess.
Actually there is a lot you can do and it's not complicated. Add more real lively LR, LS and algae.

I have some available.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic