Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help please! St George.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
electricreefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote electricreefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help please! St George.
    Posted: February 05 2017 at 11:02am
Hello all,
Does anyone know any emergency maintenance service in St. George Utah??? I need help! My brother just bought my old Red Sea max to give to his son. We broke the tank tank down yesterday here in salt lake with totes of live rock and water etc... He drove it home to St George and was going to start setting it up but his son had an accident right before he got home and they are right back here at the UofU hospital. My other brother is still in St George for today but has no experience with saltwater. It looks like they will be here for at least a week until he recovers but meanwhile I am concerned everything will die and he will lose all the cured live rock! If there is any emergency service that could help my brother get it up and going today please let me know. I will try and walk him through it over the phone but you can imagine that will be difficult to test the water, temperature, add sand rock etc... Please shoot me a text. 801-803-9519 Thanks.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 12:38pm
Text sent.

The LR in totes will be fine for a few weeks. Don't heat it. It will be much better off at room temperature because cooler water holds more Oxygen. At the same time, animal metabolism slows down in the cool water so the animals don't need as much Oxygen. Granted, the animals are just bacteria, bugs and worms, but they are critical to the system and will live better in the totes sitting on the floor inside the house, until the tank can be set up. For the same reason, coral do very well at room temperature too, even down to 65 degrees.

With the LS, spread it out in the tank with a thin layer of tank water over it so it can stay wet and breathe. The worst thing to do with LS is to leave it deep in a bucket or tote for longer than 24 hours. That's sure to make it suffocate to death.

Many years ago I transferred a tank from SLC to St. George in the middle of winter. By the time it arrived and I was setting it up, the temperature had gone down to the low 60's. The water I used was also that temperature. Everything survived, even coral, so don't worry, this situation will all work out just fine.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 05 2017 at 12:50pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 11:01pm
I'll send Devin Berry a text and see if he can help.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic