Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light control in sump/refugium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light control in sump/refugium
    Posted: October 09 2020 at 7:40pm
I'm re-configuring my sump to be simpler and more efficient. I've put together a basic design I like and now I'm considering somehow blacking out the baffles on either side of the refugium to minimize light spillage into other compartments. If the sump were acrylic I would just use opaque acrylic for those baffles, but it's all being done in glass since acrylic doesn't actually bond to silicone.

Is there a good paint product out there that will stand up to saltwater, UV, and not harm the water chemistry? Anyone else have any experience?

75G Sump Design
90G Mixed Reef
Jdreeves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdreeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 1:05am
I know silicone can bond to some types of plastic. My Solana 34 had a plastic chamber siliconed on the back and most tanks have the overflow box siliconed in right?? I’m not really sure what type of plastic that is though but seems easier than trying to black out the glass. 
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 7:58pm
Good point. My tanks has a plastic corner overflow itself. However, now that I think about it, it may not be a perfect seal, which isn't really a problem for an internal overflow anyway. Not too much of a problem for a sump either I suppose.

I don't know, I think glass may end up being less expensive so I may just not worry about blocking light through any baffles...
90G Mixed Reef
Jdreeves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdreeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 8:11pm
You could also put a black sponge block in between the baffles. Some people say it's a nitrate trap but could block some of the light out if the spillage causes problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic