Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fleece roller mat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
naffin01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naffin01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fleece roller mat
    Posted: July 10 2022 at 10:08pm
I am curious what everyone's opinion is on fleece roller filters, especially for nano reefs. I think the idea of automating mechanical filtration is great, but there's not many options for nano reef tanks that have a small sump. Is there just no demand for a small roller filter so manufacturers don't offer a small one? I've seen the Klir filter system for dropping into 4 inch sock filter openings but the reviews aren't great and I'm wanting something that is even smaller or cheaper. I've thought about building my own controlled by a microcontroller and I'm wondering if there's much interest and if it would be worth the effort to create and share plans for others to make one.

Edited by naffin01 - July 10 2022 at 10:12pm
Jdreeves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdreeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 11:00am
How small is your tank? Do you have a sump or rear chamber? I have a Reefer 170 and love my filter roller. Favorite reef tank purchase I’ve made.  
naffin01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naffin01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2022 at 1:21pm
It's a 20 gal tank with a 6 gal custom sump so I don't have a lot of space for something with a large footprint. The Klir retrofit unit would work for me since most of the space is vertical but not sure it’s worth the price tag with all the problems people have with those retrofit units. By retrofit, I mean it sits in the 4 inch hole previously used for a sock filter. 

It would be interesting to take a poll to see how many have switched over to filter rollers. Or, a poll of reason why you haven’t switched to a filter roller yet. For me, it would be because I’m space constrained in my sump and there's not enough options for small filter rollers on the market yet. 
sleepingdeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleepingdeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2022 at 9:10am
check this out. this guy posted this filter roller mat setup he 3D printed on reddit. Its for the fluval evo, but he mentioned he'd be doing a lot of other popular sizes especially for the innovative marine line. pretty cool.

i would love to buy one for my IM40g, but such a thing doesn't exist right now.
Ghetto Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghetto Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 2:25pm
I've got the Klir DI-7 and I've been pretty happy with it.  Been running for a year.  It's on my 120, and I replace a roll every 6-8 weeks.  It's a hassle swapping rolls, but way less hassle than filter socks.  I'd buy one again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic