FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So what’s a Par?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So what’s a Par?
    Posted: December 08 2005 at 1:56am

Just heard a new word yesterday about measuring light output instead of lux.  I guess I'm an idiot because I have never even heard of it before.  Am I spelling it right?  So what is it anyway?

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 8:44am
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 8:46am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 8:53am

I believe it stands for Photosynthetic Active Response.

This is an attempt to measure and evaluate the intensity (lux or lumens) and wavelength (spectrum) of light which is most beneficial for coral. Even the brightest lights have different PAR values.

Also note, coral are not all the same in their response to light. They each respond to their own best light, depending on depth, water turbidity, etc.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 9:07am

It's actually Photosynthetically Active Radiation.  Meaning some wave of energy that can be used in photosynthesis.

Adam

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 10:38am

Argh! I missed a lighting thread!

bdfitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdfitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 11:28am

Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density is way more fun to say.  Does it mean the same as PAR?
--
Brian
20g Nano
Chicago
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 2:54pm

Does it mean the same as PAR?

Yes and no.  PAR is the amount of radiation falling between 400 and 700 nm wave length.  Remember from your science class that light is both a wave and a particle.  This means we can measure that energy as a wave (called irradiance) or you can just count the number of light particles called photons (giving each photon the same energy value).  PPFD just counts the number of photons but it equates a red photon with a blue photon, while on an energy basis, the red photon is only about 60% as "energetic".

PAR on a wave energy basis would have units of Joules/(sec m2), while PAR on a photon basis would have units of photons/(sec m2).  But most times, rather then using photons/(sec m2) you'll see microEinsteins/(sec m2).  1 microEinsteins = 6.022 x10^17 photons

Edited by jfinch
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 3:01pm

I already know what the following questions are going to be.  I'll PM them to Jon just to see if I'm right.  Then I'll wait and see where this conversation goes.

Adam

Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 6:28pm
So does the energy level of the photon really make much difference in the photosynthesis of our corals.  It's been a long time since I've had a biology class don't the organisms need a specific wavelength (and thus a fixed amount of energy per photon) to carry out the reaction?

If the energy is to low the electron will drop back to the orbital it was in, loosing the energy it just gained, if it's too high the molecule will loose the electron outright (photoelectric effect). I guess it could have a range in between the minimum needed to free the electron and the minimum needed to move the electron but only a fixed amount of energy will be used in photosynthesis.

I could be totally off base here but it seems photosynthesis can only capture so much energy per photon, thus making the number of photons more important than there actually energy levels.

Ok, after typing all of that I remembered that elements can have several different orbital levels for excited electrons so one could absorb more energy from one photon to the next, but I still think photosynthetic molecules need a pretty tight range.
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 6:33pm
microEinsteins  
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 7:30pm

So does the energy level of the photon really make much difference in the photosynthesis of our corals.

As a general rule, photosynthetically I think it does.  But our corals use blue light better then any other wavelength.  The molecules involved in capturing the energy from light (chlorophylls, carotenes, etc.) are "tuned" to specific wavelengths of light.  As a matter of fact they don't absorb hardly any green light (except the carotene's).  An einstein of blue light (6.022 x 10^23 photons) has 278 kJ of energy while the same number of red photons only has 179 kJ.  So a molecule of chlorophyll will have to absorb more red photons to get the same energy as from blue.

I could be totally off base here but it seems photosynthesis can only capture so much energy per photon, thus making the number of photons more important than there actually energy levels.

I've never read that.  Where can I read more?  If that's the case, how does the plant shed off all the excess energy from the blue light?  I know that excess energy is shed from accessory pigments in corals as florescences, but how does chlorophyll shed it?  I do know that if a plant is over illuminated (too many photons absorbed...red or blue) the photosystem can shut down and actually damage the photosynthesis pathways.

microEinsteins  

I think they all look like "mini me" from Austin Powers!

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 7:47pm

Here's the absorbance (photo activity) of chlorophyll:

And here is zooxanthellae:

chrisc615 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisc615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 8:21pm

But our corals use blue light better then any other wavelength

So are you saying we would see better growth with more actinics in our setups? 

125g Mixed(mostly lps)
10g
North Ogden
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 8:57am

Jon-
I disagree a little.  I don't think our corals use blue light better.  They grow way fast with red light.

I've never read that.  Where can I read more?  If that's the case, how does the plant shed off all the excess energy from the blue light?  I know that excess energy is shed from accessory pigments in corals as florescences, but how does chlorophyll shed it?  I do know that if a plant is over illuminated (too many photons absorbed...red or blue) the photosystem can shut down and actually damage the photosynthesis pathways.

Yes, they do shed off excess energy.  It's one of the boring parts of class I somewhat tuned out of many times over the years.  Do you think corals fluoresce to rid excess energy from light?  I'm very curious to know.  Also the very next sentence you said how does chlorophyll shed it...  well chlorophyll really fluoresces.  All the time, everywhere.  It's fluorescing more than corals do.

And yes, too much light kills plants, often by "burning up" the photosynthetic pathway.

Adam

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 9:53am

They grow way fast with red light.

hmmm... I thought it was just the opposite.  Dana Riddle did an experiment where he exposed Pocillopora to a narrow blue band of light and a narrow red band of light http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2003/feature.htm.  What he saw was that the area exposed to blue light was healthy and turned pink while the section exposed to red light bleached.  Dana doesn't come to any specific conclusion as to why this happens.  He offers a couple explanations: 

It is interesting to note that those pigments involved in photoprotective dynamic photoinhibition (i.e. xanthophylls diadinoxanthin and diatoxanthin) absorb blue wavelengths and not red wavelengths. Hence, coral zooxanthellae do not possess an ability to rapidly deal with red light and might bleach when suddenly exposed to increased amounts of red radiation.

and

It is possible that the red LED produced insufficient radiation to drive PS I, resulting in destructive pressure on PS II.

But others have shown that red light resulted in poor coral growth:

Kinzie et al (1984, 1987) reported effects of different spectra (including blue, white, green, blue-green and red) on two Hawaiian corals (Pocillopora damicornis and Montipora verrucosa - now M. capitata). The results of these experiments suggest that red light promoted poor coral growth and zooxanthellae growth/reproduction.

Dana adds:  Interpreted by some to mean that red light is inefficient in the promotion of photosynthesis, it could be that exactly the opposite is true – that bleaching (either loss of algal cells or reduction in pigmentation) was caused by an exposure to elevated levels of more photosynthetically efficient red light.

So I get the feeling that Dana feels a lot like you do and feels red light is getting undeserved bad press.

Do you think corals fluoresce to rid excess energy from light?

Yes.  It's all over in the literature isn't it?

hmmm... maybe Jared is right and it doesn't matter that a photon of blue has more energy then a photon of red???

Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 10:21am
I was going to wait to post, but this thread keeps moving.  I've got a few places to check, but I'm going to see if I can verify that an atom can only accept so much energy from a photon.  I do know for sure that all elements can only transmit very specific energy levels of photons.  I don't know for sure that they can only accept certain energy levels.  These specific energy levels are used all the time to identify what stars (including our sun) and other celestial bodies are made out of. Just send the light though a gradient and and take a look and the spectral "thumb print".

Edit: As a side note, this is exactly how our MH bulbs work. Excite the electrons in an element and it will always give off the same specific set of wavelengths. Mix the correct elements to gather and get any spectral graph you want.

Edited by Jared
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 10:33am

Do you think corals fluoresce to rid excess energy from light?

Yes.  It's all over in the literature isn't it?

NO!!!!!  In fact if Dana heard me say that he'd be here slappin' me upside the face.  As of right now, why do corals fluoresce.... we have no idea.  If it was to get rid of excess energy then we'd assume that all corals would do it, or at least all corals near the water surface.... but that isn't the case. 

Dana knows more about this than I do, so I usually ask him for help.  He asked me if I wanted to help him with a project comparing blue corals to brown corals and looking at fluorescence.  So far I haven't had the time, nor do I have the blue corals.

Adam 

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 10:35am

Side note- obviously a photon can have too much energy for photosynthesis.  Otherwise we could grow plants and corals by sticking them in the microwave.

Adam

Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Side note- obviously a photon can have too much energy for photosynthesis.  Otherwise we could grow plants and corals by sticking them in the microwave.

Adam

Microwave photons actually have far far less energy then visible photons.

Edit: Microwave photons have energies from 0.00001 to 0.001 eV, visible photons are roughly 2-3 eV just under 2eV is red, just over 3eV is violet.

Edit2: 1 eV=1.6x10^-19J
Makes it much easier to use eV with most photons than Joules.

Edited by Jared
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic