Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Odyssea Moon lights ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Odyssea Moon lights ...
    Posted: November 11 2008 at 4:12pm
I have a Odyssea blue moon light that seems to have lost its power supply ... and I am wondering if I could use a cell phone charger or other 12v adapter to light the LED`s ... they are the larger LED`s and there are 15 of them in the glass tube .... but I dont know what the power needs are for them ...

I could remove a few of them if needed .. but any help with this would be greatly appreciated! ...

here is what they look like ..

Thanks in advance!

140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
GentlemanBean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GentlemanBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 4:51pm
Does the AC adapter not have the voltage written on it? If it doesn't you could always just buy a cheap variable one from home depot and solder it on then start at the lowest setting and work your way up.
Humuhumu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Humuhumu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2008 at 8:21pm

Ok... I know I am new on here but I am a recent grad of electronics engineering so here is my two cents. Most LEDs use 1.5Vdc at 20mAh. But there are several ways in which they can be wired - all series, all parallel, or any combination (which will determin volt/amps). You will need to know the voltage/amperage output of the "wall wart" power supply that was provided with the unit, then find a replacement at RadioShack.

If you will have to cut the wire off you might as well check it's output with a voltmeter and confirm it's dead. My moonlights on my simple aquapod just died but my power supply is good....... Confused I'm thinking it's corroded wiring inside the lighting system.

Good luck,
Bryan

Edited by Humuhumukununukuapua - November 16 2008 at 8:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic