Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pyramid Snails?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pyramid Snails?
    Posted: June 04 2003 at 10:53pm

I've got hundreds of these very small white snails in my tank.  They're about 1-1.5 mm wide by 2-3 mm long, bone white and, as you can see in the picture, have a very pointy shell.  I've read a few articles about parasitic pyramid snails and it has me wondering.  The pictures on the net of pyramid snails look just like what's in my tank.  The only strange thing is they are not attached/sucking on any host that I can see.  They come out only at night and scoot around everywhere; rocks, glass, substrate, my big red sponge, zooanthids... everything.  I've never seen one during the day... I've never seen one on any of my snails, corals or clam other then at night.

Mark, is this what the snails on your clam looked like?  Anyone else have these snails in your tank?  Really the only thing that has me wondering if they're pyramids is the body shape... by behavior I'd say they're algae/detrius grazers, but I don't know.  What do you think?

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2003 at 9:18am

Jon,

It looks to me like they are Chestnut Nassarius snails.  It is hard to tell from the picture, but I wouldn't worry about them unless they are doing something harmful in your tank.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2003 at 9:43am

Jake,

Is that the Nassarius snail you're selling in your store?  I added some nassarius snails from your store about a month or so ago... the timing might not be a coincidence.  Perhaps my nassarius have bred?  I'm pretty sure the small snails spend the daylight hours in the sand bed.

I looked closer at them last night with a magnifying glass, they do have a foot like a nassarius (but appeared to have a mouth more like an asteria).  Much to small to see if there's a "trunk".

I noticed them about 5 days ago and they don't appear to have "hurt" anything.  Like I said before, the body shape had me wondering.  I doubt I could do anything to control the population anyway .

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2003 at 10:07am

Jon,

I carry regular nassarius (which are black) and chestnut nassarius (which are a lighter color).  Depending on the collector I get one or the other.  For the last couple months I have been selling chestnuts.  It may be that they have bred in your tank (this is not uncommon).

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 8:52pm
The clam predatory snails are that shape and color but only 1 - 2 mm long. They seem to be gone after just two regular brushings! Now they're on my teeth
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 11:48am

Well the little buggers have about doubled in size now and I'm pretty sure they're nassarius.  The trunk is clearly visible and they're starting to color up like the adult chestnut's in my tank.

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 6:18pm
Be careful Jon, those Nassarius snails are pretty serious eaters.  I have seen them attack other animals that are weak.  If they start breeding out of control you may want to do something about it.  I believe there is such a thing as having too many Nassarius.  One for every two gallons is not bad, but 2 per gallon may be.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 6:45pm
Really?  I guess there's a potential for a problem because if they all live to adulthood I'm guessing I'll have a couple hundred in a 20 gallon tank!  I kinda doubt they'll all live though (something in dark must eat them???)... I'll let mother nature take her course for now.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 7:24pm

I wouldn't worry about it for a while.  I didn't mean to sound like it was the end of world or something.  If they do get outta hand, just get a brittle star or something like that.  They live in the dark.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic