Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looked great, BAD IDEA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looked great, BAD IDEA
    Posted: April 02 2020 at 1:50pm
Hello,

My LFS sold me one frag of this and I was stupid and didn't look it up what it did.
After 6 months, I had a forest of this stuff.
Unfortunately I can't remember what it is and I want it GONE.
I have pulled it up by the roots on the rock but even one tiny little piece of tissue comes back.
Any ideas on how to get rid of it altogether without me pulling out every rock and sanding it off?

I have tried H2O2, Alcohol, and Aiptasia remover squirted from syringes into the roots and on stuff.

Thanks.

220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Mrfixer3166 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfixer3166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 2:26pm
You know we have all done it! Dont be to hard on yourself. Its kenya tree. Spreads everywhere. Thats why its a good idea to read about before you buy. 
Can you remove rock its attched too? You can cut off but it will regrow. I actually like the look of it in my tank. I have some green kind. Good luck! 
120 Gallon 48 inch tank with 36 gallon Refugium. Sps,Lps
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 5:02pm
Thanks for the info.
As soon as you mentioned Kenya, I remembered. LOL
Unfortunately I have a hundred or so of these little nubbins growing all over.
It would be extremely difficult to remove the base rock to get at them all.

I have a way of making a small container have a soft seal around the nubs and was hoping I could put a substance inside the container that would kill the kenya tree.
Problem is some would escape and I didn't want it to affect the tank or coral around it.

Ideas?

Thanks!
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 9:12pm
I love it, wish I had a forest of it. 

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mrfixer3166 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrfixer3166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 4:43am
Just pick out what you can. Thats all i do and maintain it the best you can. Im sure what you pick out people will take. 
120 Gallon 48 inch tank with 36 gallon Refugium. Sps,Lps
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 8:57am
cut it off as close to the base as you can. Try not to let parts of it float away when you cut it. Then take a big piece of reef epoxy and cover whatever remains. I had success getting rid of some toadstools and mushrooms this way. If you have a rack that is infested then just try and take it out of the tank. Good luck 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 12:37pm
Kalkwasser paste works like charm on the nubs after cutting as close as possible to the rock.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic