Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magnesium Continually High (not dosing)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magnesium Continually High (not dosing)
    Posted: December 06 2020 at 3:08pm
A few months ago I completely stopped dosing magnesium in my 90G mixed reef, since I have consistently tested levels over 1600 ppm (I'd like to keep it between 1250-1350). Since cutting off dosing a couple of months ago, I still see levels in the 1600's, and I'm wondering what on earth keeps that level so high. With auto-dosing, calcium stays around 420 ppm, and Alk is a little low at about 7.4 dkh (slowing trying to raise it to between 8-9, as well as get pH up to about 8.2).

My corals are healthy and growing so I assume they're uptaking magnesium, though I don't recall if they typically uptake Mg at the same rate as Ca and Alk. I'm beginning to wonder if there is some other source of Mg in my system. I only do water changes every couple of months so I don't know if it's my salt mix. My RO/DI top off water reads 0 TDS. Is it possible my rocks or sand are leaching Mg into the system? I've hard that oolitic sand and some Lake Bonneville tufa rock can do this, and I do have several inches of the sand in my sump, and a few rocks in the system. But I'm not sure how reliable these theories are, since it seems they have been somewhat convincingly debunked recently (though I can't site any sources - it's just my recollection). Any insight would be most appreciated!

Here's an annotated recent FTS. I've added a few new frags, and haven't labeled all the zoanthids or mushrooms. (Not sure how to get it to display any larger)

Edited by Deluxe247 - December 06 2020 at 3:09pm
90G Mixed Reef
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2020 at 4:06pm
Wouldn’t worry about it.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic