Forum Description: Meeting and Event Announcements
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17878
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 2:34pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Forum Rules
Posted By: Jake Pehrson
Subject: Forum Rules
Date Posted: April 25 2007 at 9:51pm
In order to keep the forums running well and to prevent problems, please follow these simple rules.

• Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.  The only exception is pet store owners/managers may have an account for personal use and an account for business use.
  • Large images should not be used in signature lines
  • Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.
  • Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short) non-sense posts.
  • Please wait a reasonable amount of time before bumping posts.
  • Spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private Message system to spam other members.
  • Discussion of illegal activities will not be allowed.
  • We will not allow posts that are sexual in nature.
  • While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.
  • The "Off-topic Forum" is where WMAS members and non-members can gather to chat about almost anything.  If topics in this forum begin to distract from the main purpose of the message board then they will be removed without warning.
  • We reserve the right to remove any post(s) without notice.
  • The WMAS reserves the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.
  • We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our forums are a privilege and not a right.
  • Any pictures posted on the message board can and may be used by the club and its affiliates. 
  • Although not required it is highly recommended to use a spell checker before posting.

• -------------
    Jake Pehrson

Murray

http://coralplanet.com" rel="nofollow - coralplanet.com

http://utahbeeranch.com" rel="nofollow - :)

Replies:
    Posted By: hydro phoenix
    Date Posted: July 02 2010 at 2:59pm
    How do I get from "guest" on the message board to "Paid Member"? We became members in June.

Hydro Phoenix 

Posted By: becken
    Date Posted: July 02 2010 at 3:12pm
    pm "summertop"

-------------
    75g with 40g breeder, Dion stand and canopy, G4 skimmer, mag 12 return with seaswirl, 2 AI Vega LEDs

Posted By: utahwatertoys
    Date Posted: April 11 2011 at 10:21am
    Hi Jake,

I paid the $26 for the membership fee but this forum won't let me in the paid members section. Can you help me out with this?
    Thanks!
    Chris

Posted By: BnK
    Date Posted: April 11 2011 at 12:34pm
    pm summertop it is done manually not automatic

-------------
    Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]

Posted By: downhill_biker
    Date Posted: April 23 2011 at 2:07am
    POTM RULES: only 2 pics/person each month. Voting will be posted around 20-23 of each month and no more submissions will be accepted. Each winner of the primary voting will be sumbitted to a final voting thread. The winner will have their picture displayed on the home page and on the facebook page for the following month.

-------------
    Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.

Posted By: Chad
    Date Posted: April 23 2011 at 2:12pm
    Also Hydro if you joined in June but haven't paid dues for this year your membership would have expired at the end of last year so you would need to pay dues for this year to be a paid member this year.
    Hope that helps. Chad.

-------------
    What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!

Posted By: CCFMIG
    Date Posted: April 25 2012 at 12:02am
    I have a suggestion... I think that you should make it so a person has to have so many points before they can post asking for items from other members for free. seems it ticks of allot of members when someone posts these ads asking for handouts. I know sometimes people need it and hopefully they are able to find help but the ones who only ask for handouts ruin it for the ones who do have an emergency and need the help.

Plus it has been a year since chad posted in here so I had to knock his post off the top at least for a minute lol LOL

Posted By: Mark Peterson
    Date Posted: April 25 2012 at 12:07pm
    Good point, but did you notice how several people quickly jumped in to offer some free stuff. I'm no longer there to help but when I was, I always offered free stuff. It gave new hobbyists the chance to come by my place to learn a lot about keeping a reef, to buy some $5 frags, to take home an arm load of free stuff and to see how inexpensive this hobby really is for the WMAS group. I have long been known as the King of doing reef aquariums at little or no cost. Now I live where LR is free, heck, everything is free, and I'm loving it. Heart

-------------
    Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
    www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
    Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 10:49am
    I agree with that. You helped me out too and it was greatly appreciated. The ones that truly need the help are good but the ones in it for a profit at the expense of others are who I am talking about. I know of one who used to ask for everything then turn around and sell it under a different name and on ksl.com

Posted By: Mark Peterson
    Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 1:11pm
    Ouch

-------------
    Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
    www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
    Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Date Posted: April 26 2012 at 11:34pm
    That's what I wanted to do to him

Posted By: Donald
    Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:19pm
    This was the first WAS meeting I have attended. I was impressed with the caliber of Hobbyists I met! It is nice to meet so many likeminded Folks! I'll be sure to join at the next meeting. I have something to contribute, I spent the past thirty years installing and maintianing Filtration, RO\DI, UV and Ozone generation!

-------------
    Donald Atkinson

Posted By: Fatman
    Date Posted: May 02 2013 at 10:40pm
    Donald,
    Welcome!  Hope you will catch me a the next one and introduce yourself.

Fat

-------------
    February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
    Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36

Posted By: yongzheng
    Date Posted: July 25 2013 at 12:11am
    I paid the $26 for the membership fee but this forum won't let me in the paid members section. Can you help me out with this? Thanks!

-------------
    Saul Forest

Posted By: ReefdUp
    Date Posted: July 25 2013 at 8:07am
    Originally posted by yongzheng yongzheng wrote:

I paid the $26 for the membership fee but this forum won't let me in the paid members section. Can you help me out with this? Thanks!

Your IP address is from China, and you're posting links to gold...which is typically what spammers do. I'm skeptical. I removed the links just in case you are a scammer.

-------------
    www.reefdup.com
    Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
    200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
    PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: ReefOn
    Date Posted: July 25 2013 at 11:22am
    And thank you for the $26 donation to the club. Hahahahaha

(Even though it was probably a stolen CC)

If this was a real person, the leadership here is awesome and will get it taken care of.

-------------
    http://www.reefon.com/" rel="nofollow">

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta

Date Posted: July 25 2013 at 11:33am
    This person has just copied previous posts in all of his/her posts. IP blocked!

-------------
    www.reefdup.com
    200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
    PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: Aquarium Creations
    Date Posted: September 06 2013 at 6:53am
    I think it may be time to change like some of the other forums around, once you sign up you have to be approved before you can post.

-------------
    Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
    Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
    Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
    [email protected]

Posted By: Live Rock N Reef
    Date Posted: December 24 2013 at 5:10pm
    i most definitely agree

-------------
    The LOWEST price for aquarium supply on the internet!!
    and the most INCREDIBLE LIVE ROCK on the PLANET!!
    Live Rock n Reef
    Phone: 813-333-1847

Posted By: JohnnyHeavens
    Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:07am
    Originally posted by Aquarium Creations Aquarium Creations wrote:

I think it may be time to change like some of the other forums around, once you sign up you have to be approved before you can post.

Manual user authorization can be a lot of work and you can't always spot a spammer before they post. It also limits valid new users to a point that keeps them from returning. 

Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

This person has just copied previous posts in all of his/her posts. IP blocked!

Might I suggest actually deleting the SPAM accounts and not just blocking the IP or deleting the related posts. 

For a spammer account here is what we do (on other sites) to ease SPAM posts. 

-Delete all posts (removes links current and any future ones) One trick used is to make a generic post with no links, then come back and edit the post later but with added SPAM and links. This can go un-noticed for a long time.  (Only allowing post edits by paid members can help here too)
    -Block the IP (Many spammers use the same IP for multiple accounts)
    -Delete the USER. Spammers often use auto account creation with password savers. Deleting the account makes them start all over and will often be more work than they will bother with. It also completely invalidates the site to any scripted/automated tools being used to post SPAM. It breaks their scripting and this can free the server from having to service automated post attempts because they can't even login. 

If for some reason we don't want to delete accounts, limiting a brand new user can help. ie Only allow posts to the Introductions and/or emergency forum. After an intro post or some other valid attempt at site use, a new level of user can be applied. You could also move an offending party to a group of shame and label them as spammers that have no posting rights. This is better than nothing but the server may eventually have to contend with dozens or even hundreds of post attempts from these "valid" accounts as they continue to login and attempt to post.

Anyhow, thanks to the Leadership/Mods for the effort keeping the site cleaned up. It's a frustrating, thankless, and often unnoticed role.

-------------
    @Home
    300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
    150g Tall FOWLR RIP
    @Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
    txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
    Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
    NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver

Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:12am
    I know many other forums that dont allow someone to post till verified, I dont belive we have that many new accounts being set up daily ( I could be wrong ) for it to be alot of work no more work then deleting spam post. Im not saying my way is the only way but other forums do this for the same problems we are having.
    Jusy my .02

-------------
    [email protected]

Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:13am
    Another thought, if we aren't using the Moderator role outside of the "Leadership", perhaps expand this role to a select few that can at the least, quarantine suspected posts and users. 

-------------
    @Home
    150g Tall FOWLR RIP
    @Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
    NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver

Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:47am
    I'm not web-techy (I'll leave that to Jake), but I can say that we are doing most of these techniques suggested (blocking IP address, removing the account, removing the posts, etc.) When we find a spammer, we bulk remove all of their posts, PM's, and submit their IP address to a blacklist. Unfortunately, most IP addresses are dynamic, so IP blocking is not very effective. We also block IP addresses on the blacklist.

We've found many of our spammers will actually go through the trouble of creating an actual profile (with age, fake location, hobbies, etc.) Sometimes their posts will actually be somewhat relevant...or they will copy a previous post to look relevant. Editing these valid posts with spam links later is a problem. Also, we do have quite a few members joining every day (many of which are spammers, but many are valid). Validating each one has pros...but also a lot of cons.

As to what more we can do...I'll leave that to Jake and the rest of the Presidency. Only a few more days until it's no longer my problem too.       

-------------
    www.reefdup.com
    200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
    PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:49am
    thank you

-------------
    Live Rock n Reef

Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:55am
    Originally posted by Live Rock N Reef Live Rock N Reef wrote:

thank you
    +1

I'm sure you guys are doing them. It's a crappy thing that so much effort is required for the task! Thanks for all you do!

-------------
    @Home
    150g Tall FOWLR RIP
    @Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
    NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver

Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 10:02am
    Wish I had a better response. I'm sure there's a more fool-proof way to block them, but that's beyond me.

-------------
    www.reefdup.com
    200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
    PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: December 26 2013 at 10:08am
    Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Wish I had a better response. I'm sure there's a more fool-proof way to block them, but that's beyond me.

No fool-proof way we've ever found. Some forum softwares are better than others but still, after all the steps you can take, it still takes effort and diligence from people.

-------------
    @Home
    150g Tall FOWLR RIP
    @Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
    NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver

Date Posted: December 30 2013 at 9:31am
    just do the best you can,

-------------
    Live Rock n Reef

Posted By: Krazie4Acans
    Date Posted: December 30 2013 at 9:53am
    Another fairly easy measure that we use is, instead of deleting the spammers account, we simply change the users password and their email address (normally used for password recovery) that way they are not able to login again but we can track any New IP's that they try to use to access an account that they have created. It allows us to automate some of the IP blocking and track how active a specific spammer is at trying to use the accounts.

Pretty simple to setup and takes no more time to manage than is already being spent. Krazie

-------------
    My ocean.
    90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
    PADI Advanced Open Water
    http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63568&title=krazies-nano-paradise" rel="nofollow - Tank Thread:

Posted By: bmac2
    Date Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:07am
    I said it before, bob gave me a list of offending IP addresses and they were all in china.  It is VERY easy to block all ip addresses from China, which that one step has always worked well for me in the past and cut WAY down on the amount of crap that can get through.  China is a documented block of ip addresses.

Mac

-------------
    Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
    Stand by Dion

Date Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:14am
    I think we should ad another position to the presidency, forum spam control. I put my vote in for Barry ( Bmac2 )

-------------
    [email protected]

Posted By: bmac2
    Date Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:18am
    The person who does it HAS to be whoever's server it is, they have to be root/admin on the server.  that is NOT me, and I am sure whoever's server we ride on isn't going to want me poking around on it. 

-------------
    Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
    Stand by Dion

Date Posted: December 30 2013 at 10:25am
    i vote bmac2 also

-------------
    Live Rock n Reef

Posted By: CCrabtree
    Date Posted: May 21 2015 at 2:48pm

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
    Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net