Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

September 2008 Meeting Recap and Pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: September 2008 Meeting Recap and Pics
    Posted: September 05 2008 at 11:08am
Date: 09/04/08
Attendance: 187 (give or take)

Tank of the Month-
This month we featured Linn Griffith's new 150 gallon show tank.  Linn has been in the club for the last couple years and has historically had numerous nano tanks.  After some "discussions" with the wife Linn was forced decided to cut back to three tanks by getting one large tank.  Corey delivered a great presentation which featured photos by Mike Savage.  Thanks to the two of them for working on this.  The presentation focused on some of the pretty fish and corals that Linn has.

Reef Tour Preview-
Sukie gave a presentation on what to know for this weekend's Reef Tour.  She started off by teasing club president Shane Heil (which we all love to do) and then gave some pointers on what not to do during the reef tour, and what to do during the reef tour.  Here are some quick examples: don't frag corals, don't add anything to your tank, do clean your sump, do have cookies, don't wear dirty shoes, don't try to buy frags.

Feature Presentation-
This was undoubtedly the best presentation we've had in years.  Talk about some real insight.  It was soooooo good that I'm not sure if I can even provide a recap.  Oh well, I'll try.
Fish Locomotion is not that important.  It doesn't come even close to making Adam's top 10 list of things you need to know in the hobby.  It is filled with technical terms, odd measurements, and a classification system to confuse even the most advanced of hobbyists.
So why do we study it? 
The real answer is simply to learn more about our fishes.  If we can understand how they swim when they are happy vs. when they are stressed that can help us interpret their overall health. 
The second reason to study this is for the future of reef keeping.  Right now there is very little emphasis (but a growing amount) on designing tanks to fit the livestock.  Aquascaping is getting there right now (think of Dion's raised reef for his ray) but tank design is not there. 

If you are a beginning hobbyist, this was a good meeting to skip.  This information is certainly not what you need.  But for the more advanced hobbyists who really want to create dynamic systems which incorporate designs to maximize habitat health and development- looking at fish locomotion could be quite useful.

Instead of typing out all the details of terminology, here are a couple articles that cover much of the information.

I didn't get as many photos this month... I was a little busy
Guest Speaker all decked out

His fan eagerly awaits

Jake led the meeting (and did a fabulous job I might add)

Thanks to ReefKingdom.com we had some awesome frags to raffle

Adam

Edited by Adam Blundell - September 05 2008 at 3:34pm
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 2:49pm
There were some great points that I will remember from Adam's presentation. The next time I'm watching a swimming competition I need to encourage the competitors from the side of the pool; Undulate, undulate, undulate. Oscillate, oscillate, oscillate!

Mike

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

There were some great points that I will remember from Adam's presentation. The next time I'm watching a swimming competition I need to encourage the competitors from the side of the pool; Undulate, undulate, undulate. Oscillate, oscillate, oscillate!

Mike

LOL But dont try to breath underwater like the fish though.  If you try you will have the lifeguards helping you get out of the pool.
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2008 at 11:26pm
Nice re-cap Adam

I love your tux

Linn
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 12:35am
Jake did do a great job!

Mike

DeepFriedOprah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepFriedOprah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Mike
LOLLOLLOL
"So, Just right in half? I have a very large one, Like 4" that I would like to frag, as well as a few smaller ones"
Cameron
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2008 at 3:32pm
Thanks, that was great information.
Cindy and Joe? Jones. How is he doing?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic