Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ich

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
marine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ich
    Posted: September 02 2004 at 11:56am
My pbt has a little ich on its face and I lowered the salinity,highered the tempature and tommorrow I am going to add a cleaner shrimp but it is still eating. Anything else I should do?
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2004 at 12:02pm

How low did you lower the salinity?

Small drops usually do little to fight off ich and a large drop will kill the cleaner shrimp you are going to add.

As many people have mentioned on the board before.  Garlic is one of the best ways to fight off ich.

I would click on the Search button Search The Forumabove.  There should be plenty of info on the message board about treating ich.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
marine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2004 at 1:57pm

I have lowered my salinity to 1.018 is that to low to keep a cleaner shrimp

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2004 at 4:51pm
Do you mean a Blue Tang? They are prone to ich.
That salinity is not even low enough to bother the parasite!
And don't be fooled by the old idea that you should raise the temperature.
Garlic works like a charm if your tank environment is in good shape. Do the search and read what we've already discussed.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2004 at 8:59am

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

And don't be fooled by the old idea that you should raise the temperature.

Raising the temperature is a good idea if you are treating with copper.  It speeds up the life cycle of the parasite killing them off faster.

If you are not treating with copper (or something similar), then raising the temperature will only worsen the problem.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2004 at 9:38am
Isn't ich often present in an aquarium and the fish become "susceptible" when they are stressed out?  If so, would altering the water chemestry and temperature further stress the fish?
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2004 at 11:28am
If by "pbt" means blue tang, my blue tang just recovered from a hard case of ich. I tried garlic, but the ich was just too strong. I thought I was going to lose the tang. So I went to The Aquarium and picked up some medication called Marine No-Ich. I have a 46 gal tank, and I got the 50 gal bucket. (They come in two sizes, 50 gal and 100 gal) I used that for about a week and it cleared it up very well. I am pleased to say that he completely recovered. Garlic is great stuff, but only as a preventative or if the ich is very small and not a bad case. Otherwise I would use this medication, and yes its reef safe in case you were wondering. I have a ton of corals/inverts and they are all happy, healthy and growing! Try Marine No-Ich
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2004 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Jake Pehrson Jake Pehrson wrote:

If you are not treating with copper (or something similar), then raising the temperature will only worsen the problem.

I got a 150g acylic tank that my office used to own...The guy maintaining it coppered every time the fish sneezed.   To this day, I can't get any coraline growth in it.  

Most people know this, but for those brand new to reefs...STAY AWAY FROM COPPER!

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2004 at 12:24pm
It seems that No-Ich Marine is hit or miss. It worked well for me both times I moved the tank, but it has not worked for some others. The best remedy is prevention IMO. Keeping this stress-related parasitic infection from raising its ugly head is generally related to overall system conditions. But, that's MOO.
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2004 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Summertop
<P>Most people know this, but for those brand new to reefs...STAY AWAY FROM COPPER![/QUOTE Summertop

Most people know this, but for those brand new to reefs...STAY AWAY FROM COPPER![/QUOTE wrote:

I should have mentioned that.  Copper should NEVER be used when treating reefs (or fut

I should have mentioned that.  Copper should NEVER be used when treating reefs (or future reefs).  It works great in quarantine tanks.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2004 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Carl Carl wrote:

It seems that No-Ich Marine is hit or miss. It worked well for me both times I moved the tank, but it has not worked for some others. The best remedy is prevention IMO. Keeping this stress-related parasitic infection from raising its ugly head is generally related to overall system conditions. But, that's MOO.

I agree, I've had great luck with it, and others I've heard don't. But I think its worth the time to try and save your fish!
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2004 at 1:45pm

I used to do the medication/raised temperature remedy on my FW tanks and it works there, but seems far less effective on SW tanks.

I just finished winning a battle with ICH in my tank this month and I can tell you what worked for me.

IMHO, forget about changing your temperature or your salinity, that only stresses the fish out and makes them more susceptible to sickness. Leave everything alone, feed then food dipped in garlic and add more cleaner shrimp and blue wrasses. It'll be gone in 2-3 days.

Edited by improdigal
Patrick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic