Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Safe Cucumber?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ltanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safe Cucumber?
    Posted: October 10 2005 at 10:51pm

Is there such a thing?  I've heard of many people who have a sea cucumber in their tank, but I've also heard of the dreaded "cuke nuke".  Are there safe cucumbers?  If so, what are the species?  What should be specifically avoided?  My students are fascinated by the idea of having one of these in our classroom tank, so I'm doing my homework.

Thanks

Edited by ltanner
Laura
Orem
29 gal reef
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 8:51am
I've had a black cucumber in my tank for almost 2 yrs now.  Never had any issues with him.  He does move/eat a lot more sand then I ever imagined!  Much more then any starfish.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 9:52am
I've had a tiger tail cucumber in my tank for almost five years. I think every tank should have one. They are great detrivores and they don't bother anything!
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 10:12am
Shane, I used to have one.. Now two tiger tails??? The baby is as big as the parent. .. I also have pink & black, and pink and green.. Love them
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 10:57am
Oh, I do have one little issue with mine.  I hate it when he "dumps" his load of sand right on top of my richordia or zoanthids! 
ltanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 5:29pm

Thanks for the info- looks like the kids'll have to work hard to earn a few more points to get one of these guys.  I'm more than a little paranoid about this sort of thing, because if something were to kill off the critters in my tank, I'd have to tell 30 10-year-olds that their class pets all died!

Laura
Orem
29 gal reef
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 5:48pm

I have read a little bit about these creates at LiveAquaria.com

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=502

According to them not all cukes have the "toxic tubules of Culvier", but they can still expel their internal organs if attacked.  Some of them require daily feeding while others will get their food from the sand/live rock.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 5:53pm
Is your tank at a school???
ltanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 5:57pm

Shawn- thanks for the read, it's got some good info.

Connie- Yep, my tank is in my 4th grade classroom.  I bought it off the principal over the summer, and now we're running it as a classroom project.  The kids have to earn points to get new stuff in it, and they're in charge of testing (heavily supervised by me, of course) and monitoring the tank.  I love having the tank in my classroom, but it's a little frustrating when there's an excited hand waving in front of you, you think you've finally reached that one student, and the "question" ends up being, "I just saw the emerald crab!"

Laura
Orem
29 gal reef
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 9:04pm
Awesome!

I had a 20 gallon in my daughters 2nd grade class. It was a lot of fun. The kids were always stoked to see me and many would hang out after school when I did water changes. They all wanted to hold the choc chip star.

Way to go. Let me know if you're ever up north. I would love to donate something to your class project!
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 8:39am
Me too.... I will give one of my tiget tail cucs for your class. The kids will love it.... Making learning fun... Well there an idea more schools should try... Let me know when they have earned him and we will link up. I am going by Eagle Mountain every Friday on my way to Vernon. Maybe we could meet at the turn off..
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 11:30am

Laura,

Start 'em young! I think that it is VERY impressive that you take the time and expend the energy to do this. If you need a donation to help out please let the club members know. I know that I would be more than willing to pitch in with some classroom type (easy maintenance) corals. Not that teachers aren't overpaid or anything.

Do you have the 55 gal or the nano in the classroom? That could be the decision maker on the cuke.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
ltanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 6:27pm

Thanks so much for all the offers!  The 55 gallon is in my classroom, the nano is something I'm setting up at home (this hobby is way too addicting!).  Give my students about a week and they'll have enough points to get some new stuff for the tank.  Connie- when that happens, I'll let you know & I'd  be more than willing to meet you at the turnoff for the cuke.

As far as donating frags goes, I'd be glad to take anything you'd be willing to give that'd live under 4x55w PCs.  I'm guessing that the best way to go about this is to just PM me or post if/when you have something that you're willing to donate, and I'll happily spend the gas to come and get it.

Thanks again!

Edited by ltanner
Laura
Orem
29 gal reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic